KoalaSafe Technical Information

KoalaSafe is a layer 2 Wireless Access Point (150mbps N) and Switch (also known as a “bridge”), devices connected to the KoalaSafe are on the same network as your main router. It does not provide DHCP services. It does however host layer 3 services that require an IP address. For this reason a DHCP service must exist on the WAN side of the KoalaSafe

DNS
The KoalaSafe takes control of DNS for all devices connected to it irrespective of the devices settings. This is a required part of our filtering and as such it is not compatible with other services that take control of DNS such as OpenDNS, Live Parental Controls or a local DNS server.
If you currently use a local DNS Server we suggest you have a look at installing an mDNS (Bonjour/ZeroConf/Avahi) Service on your network.

Required Outbound Ports
The KoalaSafe Companion app can control your KoalaSafe from anywhere not just when at home. To do this the KoalaSafe talks to our cloud servers and requires the following outbound ports to be open TCP 443, 8883, 5671 and UDP 514
This will be the case unless you run special firewall software on your network.
In order to ensure the time is correct for schedules it also makes use of NTP on port 123

Edit
Latest information is kept in the manual at https://manual.koalasafe.com

0 Likes

Cloud Disconnected. Read More
pinned globally #2
0 Likes

Presumably the Koalasafe connects to the cloud servers outbound and is thus compatible with most NAT / Firewall devices and does not require universal plug and play support…

0 Likes

That’s correct @awolfend

0 Likes

It does lease an IP address from DHCP, so at that point it becomes a Layer 3 device, surely?

0 Likes

When we say Layer 2 device we are referring to how it fits in to the network topology. It doesn’t create a new subnet and doesn’t route.

You are right, it is a layer 3 client and gets an IP address

0 Likes

split this topic #7

I moved 2 posts to an existing topic: This site is against House Rules! (Really?)

0 Likes

0 Likes

Hi.
Can you add some clarity?
I have several devices connected to my Netgear wifi router network.
I have several other devices connected to the Koala network.
I want my “grown-ups” devices (connected to Netgear) to be protected by OpenDNS, and my kids devices protected by Koala.
I have changed my netgear router DNS settings to OpenDNS. I haven’t touched DNS on the Koalasafe device or any devices connected to DNS.

Are you saying this setup is a problem?

Many Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi @Pickadelic,

It is only a problem if your netgear router forcibly redirects all DNS traffic to OpenDNS. If this is the case you will need to setup rules only for the parent devices.

If you have just entered the OpenDNS Dns Servers into the router so they are automatically sent to connected devices via DHCP this is not a problem. KoalaSafe will just ignore it.

Adam

0 Likes

HAs there been a problem with transfer of data to the router and hence profile updates. I had problems last night and this morning trying to make changes to a profile

0 Likes

Hi @lucky,

No general issues. You can log into http://app.koalasafe.com and it will tell you if your device is not receiving messages.

It will also be available on the apps this week.

0 Likes

I wanted to track down more technical descriptions of how the KoalaSafe does its job and this thread was perfect. If you have technically savvy kids, especially the ones that come over to visit, would there an issue if they know how to set static DNS servers on devices? In particular I’m concerned about the visiting kids bypassing the device and showing inappropriate content to the kids. We won’t have parental control access on those incoming devices to ensure DNS and network settings are not changed. It’s one of the issues I’ve seen with DNS based filters in the past. I just re-read the top thread and it’s stating that the DNS settings are not possible to be bypassed. I’m assuming this is done by converting DNS names to a specific IP address. If a static IP for DNS servers is entered, does that still maintain control?

0 Likes

HI Drew, no, you cannot bypass KoalaSafe that way. No matter what settings are entered on the device, the DNS requests will go through the KoalaSafe box. We force DNS requests to go to our filtered services, so changing on the device will not help.

You are right, that is exactly the problem with filters like OpenDNS and similar services. They don’t offer real protection (not to mention lack of time limits, analytics and individual profiles for each child or device).

0 Likes

Thank you for the quick response, that’s the exact information I needed to make a purchase decision.

0 Likes

Not sure if this is the right area.
I am using Internet Explorer 11on a pc and notice that there is some information missing in the profile page. At the top of the page there is a line of text saying if the internet is currently on or off. Internet explorer is not showing the text “on” or “off”. i.e. at present I’m seeing
"Internet is until"
Whereas on my iPhone and mac , it shows on/off

0 Likes

Internet Explorer 11 Issues

I have a NETGEAR R6250 router (with OpenDNS disabled). I have connected my new KoalaSafe device to the NETGEAR R6250 router following the provided directions. I am able to successfully pair the KoalaSafe app on my iPhone with the KoalaSafe device. I am able to connect my iPhone and my son’s iPod to the KoalaSafe wifi, but in the KoalaSafe app I see the “There are no devices connected to the router” message. In addition, I see the “Cloud disconnected” message in the Notifications of the KoalaSafe app despite the fact that in the KoalaSafe Diagnostics Koala Cloud access shows “Yes.” Also, in KoalaSafe Diagnostics Internet access shows “Network error.” What do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

When I move a device from everyone else to a profile, how long does it take to action. I am doing this remotely over the web app.

0 Likes

Hi @lucky,

As long as it doesn’t tell you that you are disconnected - its seconds

Adam

0 Likes

@adam, are you able to address the issue I am facing:

Please ignore the above. It’s working now. I’ll keep you posted if it stops working.

0 Likes